I love Spanish food and I do like cooking them. One of the signatures of Spanish cuisine should be Paella, the rice with saffron and garnishes with the mains on the top. In this article, I would like to share the recipe of myself for a Paella de Mariscos. Mariscos means Seafood in Spanish. So I do select some fresh prawns, mussels and squids for this recipe.
Paella de Mariscos
Level of difficulty: easy
Cost: less than HK$100
2 cups of Spanish rice (it can be bought at Gourmet or City Super HK$29 for 500g)
8 king prawns
50 grams squids
Little peas and chopped carrots
Some chopped garlics and spring onions
1) in a paella pan, pour some olive oil and sauté the king prawns and seasoning
2) remove king prawns as set aside, put rice and stir-fry for 2 minutes with spring onion and garlic
3) add hot fish stock and let simmer for 10 minutes with saffron
4) add peas, carrots, squids, mussels and bring back the king prawns to the top and cook until the rice is done
5) garnish with lemon wedges and serve hot
Selection of Saffron (Azafrán)
Saffron, the most expensive herb in the world, is the key ingredient to make paella, so it shouldn´t be skipped.
You can buy in a pocket of Saffron in powder form or in herbs at grocery stores or supermarkets.
Azafrán en Hebra (Herb) – the most superior
Azafran en Moulu (Powder) – average one you can grab at HK Supermarkets
Paella Seasoning with Saffron – it is a ready seasoning pack, available at Spanish grocery stores.
Traditional Paella Pan
I used to buy one from the Supermarket in Spain, but now you can get it at Citysuper! Great! Substitute of Paella Pan? Yes, you can use a large pan.